lördag 23 november 2013

Jessica Lea Mayfield



I woke up way too early this morning (6 o'clock). And instead of doing all the things I should be doing I ended up making a list of my top 100 favorite albums. In the process of doing this completely unnecessary list I realized I had forgotten write about one of my absolute favorite female artists. She wasn’t even on my list of potential artists to write about. So to rectify my error, here goes:

Jessica Lea Mayfield is a singer-songwriter from Kent, Ohio. As a child she performed with her family bluegrass band. I guess that her background put a mark in her own music. There may be tons of chicks singing mellow songs to the tunes of a guitar but she does it with a unique melancholic vibe and with a touch of country.

When I first heard her music it reminded me of another favorite of mine: Dan Auerbach. As it turned out he had gotten hold of her demo and later ended up producing her first album – With Blasphemy So Heartfelt. Auerbach describes her as “dark and moody in a mysterious way, not unlike Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds”. A great compliment and a very good description, in my opinion.
Oh, and another thing: I love how she sings with an accent.













http://open.spotify.com/track/7wAFtDf7EBmOfPuuZpudUb


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar